The founders of Travis® Body & Trailer, Inc. began operations in 1989 after purchasing the facilities of CMC Trailers, Inc. in Houston, Texas. During the first year, Travis manufactured only the classic aluminum end dump trailer. These trailers were little changed from the older CMC designs from the 1970's and 1980's. Travis has grown rapidly in size and national market share since those early days. This growth was stimulated by both overall industry demand as well as by the determination of the Travis team to become number 1 in quality through both expert fabrication and innovation. The list of Travis innovations is long and represents a concerted effort to listen to customers and their specific needs. To name just a few:
- Patented SST™ floor design to improve trailer strength during forklift applications.
- Improved the detailed features of the trailer from cleaner rear light panel designs to upgraded rubber seal in the tailgate.
- Upgrade to 5454H34 side sheet for increased wear life
- Introduction of several steel trailers (see Product Line) with enhanced wear characteristics.
- Patented swing away dump blocks for steel trailers.
- "Four on the floor" designs for both steel and aluminum trailers
- Automatic, air operated hinged rear apron to address rear under-ride regulations.
- Introduction of several special application trailers (Tri-axles, Quad-axles, Rendering trailers, pallet loading trailers, Michigan trains, etc.)
- Incorporated several strength enhancing techniques into our Tipper and Live Floor trailers for the waste industry.
- Developed several lightweight configurations from our standard heavy-duty models.
The result of the innovation process has been a better trailer for our customers at prices that bewilder the competition. SST TECHNOLOGY™ describes how Travis has deployed innovation for distinct competitive advantage. We offer a limited five-year warranty on our aluminum dump trailers that further sets us apart.
The facilities at Travis in Houston have grown from about 30,000 square feet in 1989 to over 80,000 square feet today. Our dealer network has expanded to 30 suppliers, supplemented by our 3 Travis locations. We're not stopping. We continue to forge ahead with new designs and products and are generating increased acceptance in new markets.
People and customers that have experienced Travis already know that, while our product is unmatched by others, it is our people, our customer commitment and our focus on future goals that has created our opportunities for success. Recent R.L. Polk data, which tracks trailer registrations by make, shows that Travis is now consistently one of the top three nationwide for dump trailer sales. Thanks to all of our friends and associates for your support!